Friday, August 20, 2010

Artist 47: Tadeo Gaddi

Tadeo Gaddi was born in 1300 and was another member of the Italian Renaissance. What makes him so special and why I admire him as a painting is because he is another artist who did "a first." This first was he did a night scene. He was very interested in lighting effects which is obvious in this painting, the intense light is generated from the angel appearing to the sheppard and his flock and the light casts many shadows, however the shadows are not incredibly dark, so it gives me the impression that it is a holy light. The figures, however, don't really cast a shadow, I'm not sure if this is intentional or not. If it is, then it stays with my holy light impression, however if it is not intentional, then it proves that even the great masters of the Italian Renaissance were human and made mistakes. That very fact gives me comfort in knowing that mistakes are ok because everyone makes them. Sometimes mistakes are even favorable and make your piece even better. All I can do is learn from my mistakes and hope for happy mistakes if any!

No comments:

Post a Comment