Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Artist 33: Sam Dillemans

Sam Dillemans was born in 1965 in Belgium. He believes that it does no matter when something is painted but how it is painted. I believe that is an interesting philosophy! Regardless, this is another example of that "sketchy" style that I love so very much. I believe it is a sort of expressionism, as the colors aren't really right, and it isn't incredibly realistic. It is still amazing, however. At first glance, a very very quick glance, at that, this picture, "Portrait of Ingres," looks like a mesh of colors mixed in together. However actually looking at it reveals a human face that seems aged, almost sad. The quick, bold brush strokes heighten that sense of age and wisdom, something a smooth brush stroke would not have successfully captured. Dillemans, as well as other artists, remind me that the texture of the brush stroke can make a huge difference. They inspire me to really think about the smallest details of my work, even down to the appearance of my lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment