Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Artist 26: Zdzisław Beksiński

Zdzislaw Beksinski was born in 1929 in Sanov, Poland. Best known for his fantasy art, or as he called it, Baroque, or Gothic. His pictures had a very eerie feeling to them, as they were very surreal, featuring strange creatures and creepy scenes. Needless to say, I adore his art. One of his pieces, pictured here, "Untitled, 1975," one of my favorite, though I could say that about most of them. They take you into a foggy world that some would say is nightmarish. There are strange, humanoid creatures that are just as odd as the world around them. Not surprisingly that is just up my ally, as I really enjoy to look at his images to try to figure them out. I also try to imagine just how he came up with these images, they are really inspiring for me to come up with similar ideas that are unique to myself.
Beksinski was said to be a very nice person, quite seemingly opposite from the works he produced. That in itself is inspiring to me, because it proves you can't assume someone's personality is negative if their works seem to be so. Unfortunately, Beksinski was murdered in 2005, he was stabbed 17 times by the son of his caretaker because Beksinski would not give him a small loan. What a waste to shorten the lifespan of a great artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment