Friday, August 13, 2010

Artist 17: Jennifer Bartlett


Jennifer Bartlett was born in 1941 in California and is mostly known for her abstract and represenational styles meshed together to create one unique image. She studied at the Yale School of Art and Architecture and received her MFA in 1965.


One of the pieces that really catches my eye and makes me truely enjoy her work is that, at least from what I've seen, of all the artists I've covered in this blog she is the first to use pastels. My favorite is "Backdrop #4," pictured here, which really grabs my attention not only with the content but the beautiful colors and execution of combining content and color and format together into a very interesting piece. My favorite media to use in art are pastels and charcoal, two very closely related tools. In her piece I really love how it looks chalky and yet has a slight oil painting appearance as well, possibly because of the texture, or maybe simply because of the pictures I have seen give it that appearance. From what I take from this picture it is a captivating sunset behind a, I assume, city. The red and blue lights I believe are the cars and buildings, which has a futuristic feel. So this piece combines, at least as I see it, futuristic aspects with an old fashioned sunset, creating an eye catching work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment