Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Artist 25: Willem de Kooning

Willem de Kooning was born in 1904 in the Netherlands. He not only did 2D works but was known to do sculpture as well. Both of these styles he did in an abstract way, his sculptures being just as visually entertaining as his 2D pieces. Though, because I love 2D more than 3D, I am going to focus on that for this artist. One piece he did, "Woman V" 1952-53, is a very interesting piece indeed. Obviously abstract, one could argue it looks like something a toddler drew. It is very unproportional and sketchy, it almost appears the artist had no motor skills in creating it. Honestly, it looks like a mess. So why is this famous art? Why is it anything worth talking about? Because it makes you think and it's his own expression. I've stated in other posts, I like the sketchy look, and this takes it to the extreme! This reminds me of a type of painting one could do to let off steam if you were angry, just slam paint onto the canvas and let it flow. I'm unsure of what was behind the creation of this piece, but it makes me smile. It is fun to attempt to decipher what is going on, what is what and where is what body part of piece of the art. I hope I am not misunderstood but this piece is a hot mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment