Friday, August 20, 2010

Artist 44: Salvador Dali

Salvador Dali was born in 1904 and is mostly known for his surrealist paintings. The most famous is "The Persistence of Memory." Yes, that's right the melty clocks. What I love so much about this piece is that it is like something you'd see in a dream. The background seems almost like a mirage, the melted clocks are rested on strange objects such as what seems like a brown block, a tree on said block, and a floating self portrait of Dali. I believe that his paintings work so well because, unlike many of the other painter's techniques of quick, thick paint, Dali uses very smooth and precise brush strokes, I myself cannot see any of them. This creates a more serene feeling, like as I said before, it's like you are in a dream. A very strange, hard to understand, dream. Dali's pieces are all so strange, that he inspires me to try to be more creative in my ideas to attempt to come up with things none have ever even contemplated before.

No comments:

Post a Comment