Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Artist 27: Godfrey Blow


Godfrey Blow was born in 1948 in Western Australia. He is part of the "Stuckism" movement, a movement I have not heard of until quite recently, but I think I like it! From what I have noticed from Godfrey Blow's work is it has a sort of edge to it, yet it also have a softness. I think this is shown well in his piece, "Emergence of the Green Religion," pictured above. The trees seem pointy and harsh, but the edges of them and the scenery behind them is very soft, pastel, and has a light glow to it. I also very much like the lines and texture created by the paint, it adds a bit of personality to the piece.
Blow's style really makes me want to explore Stuckism. I believe it could be something I may find rather interesting, possibly enough to try it myself. He also inspires me to try a style of "Edgey, yet calming." I'm not sure how to explain it other than that way, dark, and yet light and calm. I guess I won't really know what I mean myself until I try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment