Thursday, August 19, 2010

Artist 34: Titian

Titian was born in 1488/1490 in Italy. Unlike most artists of his time in the Renaissance, he was very well rounded in his subject matter, what I mean by that is he wasn't only able to draw portraits, or landscapes, but he was able to do both. He was also skilled at doing both religious as well as mythological paintings, giving him an edge over most other artists in his wide variety of abilities in art.

One thing I admire about Titian is that his style changed throughout his life, but not in a negative way in the least bit. Yes his style changed, but he was/is still considered a master, because while his style was not as it had been when he got older, it was still amazing. Like him, I expect my style will change over time through my life, however I do not want it to be in a negative sense, but I want to improve my skills in art the older I get.

One of Titian's master works is "The Venus of Urbino." This piece has very possibly inspired many works similar, such as "Olympia" by Manet, and the many others that had a reclining nude woman as the subject. This picture seems rather scandelous, as the woman is most likely the mistress of a rich man, as she is seen here relaxing in the nude as two maids attend to a chest in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment